So your thinking about investing in home automation for your new home or remodel. Here are a few interesting things that you may not know about Home automation equipment.
1) Certain home automation equipment allows you to start small. I don’t know about you but just the idea of a $50,000 price tag for home technology can be overwhelming to many people. Now while it is very easy to spend that and more on a true home automation system… it is not necessary with all systems. Many homeowners start off with using the basic brain of an automation system that will allow you to grow with it. They usually use it as a smart remote control for their home theater system. They may then add on additional home automation modules as they see fit and can afford to. Down the road a few light switches can be added in to the system. Even further down the road you can tie in your security system & thermostats. Some people even add music throughout their home with this system. Just remember that you can start off your home automation with one project at a time– yet still have a system that integrates everything seamlessly.
2) Certain systems allow you to turn on your television and see a copy of every DVD movie that you own. When you combine them with the Sony 400 disc DVD player, the system accesses the Internet and automatically searches for the DVD jackets cover art. Now you no longer have to look for your movies or worry about them getting scratched by the kids. The Movies stay in the DVD player all of the time. All you have to do is turn on the TV and with your Controller– simply click on the “video” button. Instantly you will see a picture of every DVD movie you own. Choose a movie by clicking on it & the system does everything else. No more wrestling with 6 remote controls.
3) Some Controllers use Wi-fi, Ethernet and a relatively unheard of technology called…Zigbee 802.15.4 mesh networking standard. Believe it or not the name “ZigBee” is comes from zig- zag patterns made by bees when they go flower to flower to collect pollen. This is similar to the invisible webs of connections existing in a fully wireless Zigbee system. So what that means in simple English is that the more Zigbee devices you add to the system…the stronger the connection will be since each device will feed off of the next. All of the lighting dimmers are Zigbee based. The LCD keypads may be Zigbee based or hard wired via Ethernet.
4) What does this mean for you? Zigbee technology means that if you live in an existing home that does not give you access to run wires for home automation technology…you still can use this system. By taking advantage of the Zigbee protocol and Wi-fi, you can add complete home automation to your house including your lighting, thermostats, security and movies. In fact, if you want to add zones of distributed audio (music in other rooms) there is even something called a wireless Speaker Point. This allows you to deliver remote audio throughout the home without running any wires back to your audio source.
5) These systems afre very user friendly. You do not have to have an engineering degree to use it. In fact… I have had clients choose it instead of some of the more expensive systems just for its simplicity and ease of use.
Home automation and smart home technology are here to stay. Why not look for an affordable home automation system that can grow with you, add value to your home and give you pleasure at the same time.